Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
San Josť State University
One Washington Square
San Josť, California 95192-0087
Office: Engineering 117B
Telephone: (408) 924-3905
Fax: (408) 924-3995
Dr. Tai-Ran Hsu
|1959||B.S., National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan, China|
|1963||M.S., University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB, Canada|
|1968||Ph.D., McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
Dr. Hsu teaches dynamics, engineering analysis, senior design projects, and microsystems design, manufacture and packaging. His research interest is in the application of thermomechanics in MEMS design and packaging, and nano scale engineering. He has published 5 books and edited 2 others in finite element methods, CAD, and MEMS as well as over 120 technical papers through peer review systems. He has served as a department Chair in both Canada and USA for 12 years. He was invited to deliver keynote speeches on miniaturization technologies, i.e. micro and nano technologies and micromechatronics at numerous international conferences and symposia in USA and abroad.
Computer-Aided Design, Machine Design, Finite Element Analysis, Strength of Materials, Mechanical Engineering Analysis, Engineering Mechanics, Microsystems Design and Manufacture.
ME 195 - Senior Project Course Manual
ME 195 Senior Projects for 2009-10
ME 130 Applied Engineering Analysis - Syllabus
ME 130 - Answers to Homework Problems
ME 130 - Ch. 1 - Overview, Ch. 2 - Math Modeling, Ch. 3 - First Order DEs, Ch. 4 - Second Order DEs, Ch. 5 - Laplace Transform, Ch. 6 - Fourier Series, Ch. 7 Intro to PDE, Ch. 8 - Linear Algebra, Ch. 9 - Intro FDM, Ch. 10 - Intro to Statistics, Review for Final, Greensheet (S14)
Lecture Notes on Nanoscale Heat Transfer
Presentation on Solar Photovoltaic
Infrastructure Support & HR Development for Solar PV Industry
Energy, Environment and Social Impacts (October 2009)
Micromechatronics - A vital industrial technology in the new century (March 2009)
Tutorial on Solar PV
Globalization - New Global Economy and Social Impacts, and Impacts After the Storm
Tutorial on Wind Power
Dr. Hsu's experience in R&D is primarily in the application of advanced technologies to industry. The scope of his R&D experience and efforts involves the following areas:
He has received research grants and contracts exceeds $3.5 million from granting agencies from Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) and National Science Foundation (NSF) of the governments of Canada and USA respectively, and also from industries such as Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd, Alberta Oil Sands Technology Research Authority, Industrial Technology Research Institute, Optimal Corporation, FloWind Corporation, Flextronics, etc.
Dr. Hsu's current research covers three related areas of (1) Microelectromechanical system (MEMS) and micromechantronics design and packaging; (2) Microelectronics packaging at chip and board levels; (3) Nano scale engineering.
Topics included in Dr. Hsu's current research in MEMS and micromechatronic systems design and packaging include: electromechanical design; residual stress and strains induced by microfabrication processes; interfacial fracture of micro device components; CAD for MEMS and microsystems assembly; and packaging of micro devices.
Currently, Dr. Hsu serves as Co-principal Investigator in two funded research projects by National Science Foundation (NSF). These are: (1) Development of laboratory curriculum devoted to the thermal management of electronics (PI: Professor Nicole Okamoto), and (2) Interdisciplinary & flexible laboratory experiments in micro-electro-mechanical systems (PI: Professor John Lee).
Part A: Invited Speeches at International Conferences and Symposia:
Part B: Other Presentations on Micro Systems Technology:
Summary on total number of publications:
(6 authored, 2 edited)
Papers published in peer-reviewed systems: 121
Papers delivered at technical conferences: 61
"MEMS and Microsystems: Design, Manufacture, and Nanoscale Engineering,"
2nd Edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, 2008 (ISBN 978-0-470-08301-7)
Institute of Electrical Engineers, London, U.K. 2004 (ISBN 0-86341-335-8)
"MEMS and Microsystems: Design and Manufacture," McGraw-Hill, Boston, 2002 (ISBN 0-07-239391-2)
Papers Published in Peer Review Systems:
1. Hsu, T.R., "MEMS Demand New Package Designs," Semiconductor International, April 2001.
2. Hsu, T.R., "Teaching ME Undergraduates in MEMS Design and Manufacture", DE-10A, ASME IMECE 2000, Orlando, Florida, November 2000.
3. Hsu, T.R., "Packaging Design of Microsystems and Meso-Scale Devices", IEEE Transactions on CPMT-B: Advanced Packaging, Vol. 23, No. 4, November 2000.
4. Hsu, T.R. and Nguyen, L.T., "On the Use of Fracture Mechanics in Plastic-Encapsulated Microcircuits Packaging", Proceedings of ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress, 11th Symposium on Mechanics of Surface Mount Assemblies, Nashville, TN, November 1999, pp. 1-8.
5. Hsu, T.R., "Development of an Undergraduate Curriculum in Mechatronics Systems Engineering", Journal of Engineering Education, April 1999, pp. 173-179.
6. Hsu, T.R. and Wang, J. "A Mechatronics Curriculum Stem for Undergraduate Mechanical Engineering Education", 1999 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM'99), Atlanta, GA, September 19-22, 1999.
7. Hsu, T.R., and Sun, N., "Residual Stresses/Strains Analysis of MEMS," Modeling and Simulation of Microsystems, Semiconductors, Sensors and Actuators, Santa Clara, California, April 6-8, 1998, pp. 82-87.
8. Wang, J., Hsu, T.R. and Ibrahim, N., "Advanced Mechatronics Systems Design Courses for Undergraduate Curriculum", Paper 98-WA/DE-20, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Anaheim, CA, No. 15-19, 1998.
9. Hsu, T.R. "Mechatronics in Manufacturing", a contributing part of CRC Mechanical Engineering Handbook, ed. by F. Kreith, February 1998.
10. Nguyen, L.T., Hsu, T.R. and Kuo, A.Y. "Interfacial Fracture Toughness in Plastic Packages", 'Application of Fracture Mechanics in Electronic Packaging', AMD-Vol 222/EEP-Vol 20, ASME, 1997, pp. 15-24.
11. Hsu, T.R., Fawzi, K.M., Nguyen, L.T. and Kuo, A.Y., "Fracture Strength of Epoxy Molding Compounds", Advances in Electronic Packaging 1997, Vol. 1, ASME, 1997, pp. 261-267.
Hsu, T.R. "Mechatronics-An Overview", IEEE Transactions on
Components, Packaging, and Manufacturing Technology-Part C, Vol. 20, No.
1, 1997 (Guest edited by T.R. Hsu),
13. Sun, N.S. and Hsu, T.R., "Thermomechanical Coupling Effects on Fractured Solids", International Journal of Fracture, Vol 78, 1996, pp. 67-87.
14. Hsu, T.R. "Undergraduate Curriculum Development in Mechatronic Systems Engineering", Proc. Of the 1996 Annual Meeting of Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, October 31, 1996, San Diego, CA
15. Furman, B.J., Hsu, T.R., Barez, F., Tesfaye, A., Wang, J., Hsu, P. and Reischl, P., "Laboratory Development for Mechatronics Education", Proc. of 1996 ASEE Annual Conference, Washington, DC, June 27, 1996.
1. "Feasibility of Development of Smart Hearing Aids," for
Industrial Technology Research
Institute-International, San Jose, California, May-October 2003.
2. "Design of Contactless Energy Transfer Micro Module," for
Industrial Technology Research
Institute, Taiwan , December 2003.
3. "Moisture induced failure in plastic encapsulated
microcircuits," with Optimal Inc., San Jose
and National Semiconductor, Santa Clara, California for US Air Force, 1994-1995.
4. "Fatigue Life of PCB subjected to Bending Loads," A graduate project for Flextronics, San
Jose, California, May - October, 2003.
5. "Design of a retrofit scrubber for semiconductor testing probes,"
a senior project for Electroglas,
Inc., San Jose , CA , 1997.
6. "Low Noise Air Fan/Filter Design," a senior project for Servicor, Inc., San Carlos , CA , 1995.
7. "Polymer Design enhancement of Temporary Cleanroom Enclosure
Modules," a senior project
for Servicor, Inc., San Carlos , CA , 1995
8. "Design and Construction of a Tilt Garden Cart," a senior project for Gibson & Son
Manufacturing Company, East Palo Alto , CA under a sponsorship of NIST/California
Manufacturing Technology Center, Torrance , CA , 1995.
"Introduction to Reliability in MEMS Packaging," International Symposium for Testing & Failure Analysis, San Jose, CA, November 5, 2007
"Reliability in MEMS Packaging," an invited paper delivered at 44th IEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium, San Jose, CA., March 26-30, 2006.
"Micro Assembly - a technology on the frontier of new industrial automation," a keynote lecture delivered at the 8th International Conference on Automation Technology, Taichung, Taiwan, May 5, 2005.
"Micromechatronics - the core technology of industrial revolution in
miniaturization," a plenary lecture delivered at the International
Congress on Mechatronics, San Luis Potosi, Mexico,
March 4, 2005.
"On the Integration of Micro and Nano Scale Engineering," a plenary lecture delivered at the 20th Modern Engineering and Technology Seminars, Taipei, Taiwan, November 15, 2004.
"Miniaturization - a paradigm shift in advanced manufacturing and education," a
plenary lecture delivered at the 2002 IEEE/ASME International
Conference on Advanced Manufacturing Technologies and Education in the
21st Century, Chia-Yi, Taiwan, August 10-15, 2002.